NEWBERRY – Newberry firefighters were busy this past weekend responding to fire calls, including a fire on Bedenbaugh Street early Sunday morning that heavily damaged a home there and left two firefighters with minor injuries.
Newberry Fire Chief Keith Minick said that Newberry and Friendly firefighters were called to 838 Bedenbaugh St. just after 7 a.m. Sunday. When they arrived, the fire was fully involved, with flames coming through the roof of the home.
Temperatures in the mid-20s hampered the efforts of the fire fighters, Minick said, adding that the water being used to fight the fire was freezing to the ground and other surfaces. Minick also said the air tanks being used were having icing issues.
Minick said the fire started in the kitchen but the exact cause had not been determined Tuesday. He also did not know the amount of damage or if the house was a total loss.
The home did have a working smoke alarm and those inside the home escaped without being injured.
“It was bad that they lost everything but good that no one living in the home got hurt,” Minick said. The smoke alarm in the home was one the Newberry Fire Department had received through a grant and given to the family.
Firefighters were busy before the Bedenbaugh Street fire and after, Minick said.
On Friday, firefighters responded at 3:53 p.m. to Benedict Street after a gas heater malfunctioned. No major damage was reported.
Around midnight Saturday, the Newberry Fire Department was called to a home on Armfield Avenue after clothes in a dryer caught fire. The damage was contained to the clothes and dryer, Minick said.
Firefighters also responded to a car fire at Drayton and Cromer streets on Sunday just after 5 p.m. and responded at 5:42 p.m. Monday to a home on Wise Street after food burned in a microwave.