WHITMIRE — The community has responded greatly to the need of a a family that was burned out on Friday night.
The fire started on Friday night on Maybinton Road and was caused by a Christmas tree.
“Once we got on scene the house was already engulfed in fire. Not only did the family with three small kids lose their house but everything they owned and bought for Christmas,” said Whitmire Fire Chief Michael Thomas. “It is a devastating thing to lose your house in a fire but even worse during the holidays. Talking with the family after the fire they said they didn’t know what they were going to do with it being so close to Christmas. I told them that we would get the community together and we would make sure they have a great Christmas. Once we got the word out that they needed help, there was an amazing amount of support.”
On Saturday with help of the Newberry County Sheriff’s Office the Whitmire Fire Department already had a truck load of toys, clothes and other items to give to the family.
While the children ages 1, 3 and 5 will have Christmas gifts to open and the family that includes a mother, father and grandfather has been given clothing the family is still in need of furniture and other household items, said Thomas.
Thomas says the family is currently staying with relatives but will be moving to a new home in the next few days.
Those who want to help the family can call Thomas at 924-6379 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
“I would like to thank everyone that has helped to make sure this family had a merry Christmas,” said Thomas. “Please continue in keeping the family in your prayers.”