WHITMIRE — A Christmas tree is being blamed for a family of six losing their home on Friday night.
A host of firefighters were called to the 1046 Maybinton Road, which is in a remote area of the county, according to Whitmire Fire Chief Michael Thomas.
The fire totalled the home and the family lost all of their belongings and Christmas gifts.
Firefighters were forced to haul water a long way to the blaze and the wind hampered in efforts to put out the fire.
The fire was responded to by firefighters from Whitmire, Consolidated, St. Phillips, Pomaria, Carlisle and Santuc and the Union County EMS.
“I would like to thank all the departments and dispatchers that helped us with the house fire Friday evening but this is not the most important part,” said Thomas. “This family had three small kids and lost everything in the fire. I ask that everyone keep them in your prayers specially for the small kids.”
Thomas said three children ages five and under, their parents and a grandfather were all living in the home.
The fire chief is asking the community to pitch in and help the family.
The 1-year-old boy child wears a size 2T and a size 5 shoe.
The 3-year-old girl wears a size 3-4T and a size 10 shoe.
The 5-year-old boy wears a size 5-6 T and a 10-and-a-half to size 11 shoe.
The mother wears a size 14/16 and a size 10 shoe.
The father wears a size 36-32 pants, 2X shirt and a size 13 shoe.
The grandfather a size 32-34 pants, large shirt and a size 13 shoe.
Donations of clothing and gifts for the family can be take to Thomas Grocery and Grill or by contacting Thomas at 924-6379.