Clinton (0-1) at Newberry (1-0)
• Clinton leads the series 54-27-1 since 1921.
• With a win, Phil Strickland would join Harry Hedgepath (1926-28) and Sam Baird (’89-91) to go 2-1 against Clinton in their first three games against them. Hedgepath and Baird both lost their first meetings and then won their next two against the Red Devils. Jim Kimmell (’67-69) had a win sandwiched between two losses to Clinton in his first three meetings.
• The last time Newberry defeated Clinton two years straight was 2004-05.
• This is the 19th time Newberry has opened a season with two straight games at home.
(1925, ’28, ’29, ’33, ’34, ’36, ’46, ’48-50, ’52, ’58, ’60, ’62, ‘74, ’82, ’84 and 1994.) The last time NHS won its first two games of the season at home was 1962 (Leavelle-McCampbell and Batesburg-Leesville.
• Clinton coach Scott King is 1-1 against Newberry. Five Clinton coaches went 2-1 against Newberry in their first three meetings while three went 1-2 in the same time frame. Claude Howe (1961-63) won his first game over Newberry and then lost two straight. No Clinton coach has two wins sandwiched between a loss to Newberry.
• Clinton has won the last three games at Newberry, six of the last seven. The last time the Red Devils won on at least four straight trips to Newberry was when they won seven straight meetings (1977-89).
• This is the 200th varsity game in Newberry High’s present stadium since its inaugural game on September 1, 1979, a 7-6 victory over Laurens. Thomas Turner scored the first touchdown while David Wiseman kicked the first PAT and the first field goal that season. Newberry has a 118-80-1 home record during this time.
• With the win last week against Ware Shoals, Newberry has won at least one home game in all but two seasons since 1956.
Gilbert (0-1) at Mid-Carolina (0-2)
• Mid-Carolina leads the series 17-7 since 1980.
• The Rebels have won the last four meetings. They won four straight (1995-98) and six straight over the Indians, (1980—21).
• Mid-Carolina picked up its first wins of the season in 1981 and ’93 over Gilbert.
• Gilbert picked up its first wins of the season in 2005 and ’05 over Mid-Carolina.
• Have met all but two years (2006-07) since 1988.
• The last time Gilbert won at Mid-Carolina was 2004.
North Central at Whitmire
• North Central leads 2-0 since 1998.
• First meeting since 1999.
Game times are at 7:30 p.m. Friday night.