The hopes are high for a winning season for the Newberry High Bulldogs this season and they will kick things off Friday night against Ware Shoals.
But as of Monday night, who would be the starting quarter back was up in the air between a sophomore, a junior and a senior.
“I may flip a coin,” said Newberry High coach Phil Strickland.
He says his team is working hard and they look good for the season.
But in the preseason the team started out good in the first couple of scrimmages but not as good against Strom Thurmond and Aiken but then did well against Emerald in the Greenwood jamboree last week.
“We have a talented group of players.”
But he says the line is struggling to get on the ground instead of looking like they are knocking down bowling pins.
The Bulldogs will officially kick off its season on Friday against the 1-A Fighting Hornets of Ware Shoals.
Ware Shoals (0-0) at Newberry (0-0)
• Newberry leads the series 2-0 since 1928.
• This is Ware Shoals’ third straight trip to Newberry; their first since the 1946 season opener.
• The last time Newberry opened its season against someone other than Clinton was 2003.
• The last time Newberry opened two straight seasons with a victory was 2004-05.
• Newberry head coach Phil Strickland got his first ever career victory over Ware Shoals when he coached at Ridge Spring-Monetta in 1987.
• The last time Strickland opened two straight seasons with a victory was 2006-07.
• The 1928 Bulldogs share three common opponents with the 2012 team (Ware Shoals, Saluda and Clinton) while the ’46 Bulldogs played Ware Shoals, Batesburg-Leesville, Clinton, Abbeville and Union.