The Newberry Fire Department responded to several calls Thursday evening and Friday that resulted in two evacuations.
J.F. Hawkins fire
On Friday morning a light in the ceiling of a room at J.F. Hawkins caught fire.
The damage was minor but due to fire extinguishers being sprayed and the smoke part of the wing was evacuated and three patients were moved to other rooms.
Once the clean-up was done the patients were free to go back to their rooms, according to Newberry Fire Chief Keith Minick.
Lincoln Court gas leak
Residents of Lincoln Court off Taylor Street were evacuated after a person hit a gas line with a lawn mower.
The lawn mower opened the line causing gas to be released.
The Clinton-Newberry Natural Gas Authority (CNNGA) was called and shut off the leak.
Once the gas line was capped, residents were allowed back in their homes, according to Minick.
Smoke on Harrington
Firefighters were also called to a house in the 1500 block of Harrington Street Thursday evening due to smoke in a house.
The smoke was reportedly caused by burning food, said Minick.