CAYCE — During the holiday season, S.C. Electric & Gas is urging customers to be aware of scam artists posing as SCE&G employees.
A number of customers have reported instances of individuals portraying themselves as SCE&G employees over the phone. In several instances, the individuals are requesting immediate payment of the customer’s SCE&G bill and threatening service disconnection if payment is not made.
Important tips to keep in mind:
• Bill payments are only accepted at SCE&G business offices, by mail, authorized payment agencies, online or through SCE&G’s phone payment provider, BillMatrix, by calling 1-800-450-9160.
• SCE&G typically notifies customers by phone or in writing before an employee is scheduled to arrive at their home to perform any type of work inside the home.
• SCE&G field employees are identified by their blue SCE&G uniforms, a white company ID badge with a photo and marked SCE&G truck.
• If someone arrives unannounced or does not have company identification and introduces themselves as an SCE&G employee, the company recommends calling Customer Service at 1-800-251-7234 for verification or dialing 911 if they feel threatened.
• Keep your family and your personal information safe. Do not give in to high pressure tactics over the phone for financial information or in person to gain access into your home.
“We encourage our customers to call us if they have any concerns about their accounts,” said Molly Morris, general manager of customer service for SCE&G.
If someone believes they have been a victim of this scam, Morris recommends calling SCE&G’s customer service department at 1-800-251-7234.