Last updated: August 20. 2014 8:49AM - 303 Views
Thomas Crisp Contributing Columnist

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

There are two concurrent receipt programs available to Navy and Marine Corps retirees who have VA-rated disabilities. They are the Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) program and the Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) program. Retirees who receive VA disability payments have their retired pay “offset” (reduced) by the amount of VA pay.

These concurrent receipt programs “restore” some or all of that retired pay. The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) calculates and pays monthly CRDP and CRSC compensation. It is highly recommended that you have a myPay account set up with DFAS to manage your retired pay. If you do not refer to the following on how to set up an account: dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/manage/mypay.html.

In order to be eligible for these programs, disabled retirees must be eligible for retired pay AND be in receipt of VA disability compensation. Medical retirees (TDRL & PDRL) with less than 20 years service are eligible for CRSC only. Twenty year and Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) retirees (15-19 years of service) and Reservists (age 60) are eligible for both CRSC and CRDP, but can receive compensation from only one program. Applicants must apply to the service CRSC Board from which they retired (public.navy.mil/asnmra/corb/CRSCB/DD%20Forms/dd2860.pdf).

CRDP is automatic and is paid to 20-year and TERA retirees who have VA rated service connected disabilities of 50 percent or higher. There is no application required, nor accepted. DFAS determines eligibility and pays monthly CRDP compensation. CRDP payments are taxed.

CRSC is for military retirees with combat-related disabilities of 10% or greater. Combat-related determinations are made by the CRSC Board for the branch of service from which the member retired. A combat-related determination is made for each VA disability claimed.

The retiree must apply using the CRSC application form (DD-2860 July 2011). The “burden of proof” is on the claimant and the claim should include the member’s DD-214, VA Rating Decisions, applicable Service Medical Records (SMRs), the PEB Findings Letter (for medical retirees) and pertinent service personnel records. Reconsiderations are accepted if new documentary evidence as to the cause of the disability is provided or for any new disabilities rated by the VA. Appeal authority for CRSC is the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR).

CRSC compensation for medical retirees is calculated by DFAS using a complicated formula that takes into account the PEB, VA and CRSC -percentages. CRSC pay can never exceed what would have been the years of service (YOS) retired pay amount, but can be much less and sometimes zero. CRSC pay is not taxed. At dfas.mil/militarymembers/woundedwarrior/disabledretireest.htm medical retirees can determine the approximate CRSC pay they will receive. Applicants may apply for CRSC under one of four categories:

1) Direct result of Armed Conflict (AC)

2) while engaged in Hazardous Service (HS)

3) in the performance of duty under conditions Simulating War (SW)

4) disabilities resulting from the operation of an Instrumentality of War (IN).

For a CRSC claim to be approved, there must be a direct causal relationship between the armed conflict or training exercise that simulates war and the resulting disability. The CRSC board makes combat-related determinations only on VA rated service connected disabilities. Slips, trips, and falls, lifting heavy objects, as well as physical training, are not combat-related disabilities.

The fact that a veteran incurred a disability during a period of war or simulated war; or in an area of armed or simulated conflict, or while participating in combat or simulated combat operations; is not sufficient to support a combat-related determination. Only the CRSC Board for each branch of service is authorized to make combat-related determinations. Combat Zone (CZ) notations in VA and PEB documents are not combat related determinations.

A reconsideration request to the CRSC Board is required if your VA rating percentage increases due to the VA approval of a new or unclaimed disability. For further explanation of reconsideration requests go to public.navy.mil/asnmra/corb/CRSCB/Pages/CRSCB%20main%20page.aspx. This site should be reviewed the prior to applying or contacting the Board at public.navy.mil/asnmra/corb/CRSCB

The primary means of communication with the DoN CRSC Board is by email at CRSC@navy.mil. If you want a call, send an email with your phone number.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Newberry Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com