NEWBERRY — The Newberry Fire Department responded to three calls on July 8.
Fire Chief Keith Minick said the first call was a 6:38 a.m. report of smoke coming from a home on Clarkson Avenue.
Minick said the fire department made entry into the home and found a dryer on fire. The fire was contained to the dryer. The department assisted with removing the dryer and smoke from the residence.
The second call was a fire in the kitchen of a Gulf Street home at 12:32 p.m. The fire was already venting in the rear of the house when fire fighters arrived, Minick said. The occupants made it out safely, apart from two of the family dogs.
“Firefighters worked to contain the fire to the rear of the structure (kitchen area) and searched for the pets,” Minick said.
Two firefighters were taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion and released later in that afternoon. Minick said the fire was caused by grease on the stove that ignited and spread.
Friendly Fire, Newberry Rescue, EMS, law enforcement and members from other stations assisted with the call.
While on that call, Friendly Fire Department responded to a brush fire on S.C. 34 near the interstate, followed by a wreck on the interstate.
The third call was a brush fire on First Street. Minick said fireworks were believed to be the cause of that fire.
“Crews contained the fire to a small area without any incident,” Minick said.