On June 9, The Newberry Historical and Museum Society and the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy displayed a flag recently at the museum. The flag was made by Newberry County women and presented to the Newberry Chargers, a fighting unit, on Feb. 22, 1861. It is now displayed and framed in the Confederate Relic Room. Shown are, from the left, Mary Armstrong, president of the S.C. Division of United Daughters of the Confederacy; Dot Broom, honorary president general of UDC; Bootsie Rasor, Drayton Rutherford chapter president; and Eloise Verdin, immediate past president of S.C. Division of UDC.
Dot Broom, left, honorary president general of United Daughters of the Confederacy and Newberry Historical Society, and Peggie West with the Museum Society admire the Newberry Chargers flag given to a fighting unit during the Civil War on Feb. 22, 1861. The flag was framed by Brown.
Edith Greisser, middle, receives an award for historical bulletins written about Newberry County history. J.R. Fennell presents the award to Greisser. Greisser is a member of the Newberry County Historical and Museum Society and has two publications printed each year.