NEWBERRY — A fee in lieu of tax agreement was unanimously approved Wednesday night for between Newberry County, West Fraser and South Carolina. The agreement makes West Fraser eligible for special tax rates as an incentive for the company to invest $27 million in its current college street location. Other infrastructure and funding initiatives considered and passing unanimously included:
• Council unanimously approved a $4,205 proviso for the Keep Newberry Beautiful Program under the Newberry Soil and Water Conservation District. NSSWCD Chairman Ben Setlzer said the funds would be used for litter clean up, for marketing and other organizational related expenses, not for a raise for the part-time county employee working for the program.
• Third reading passed unanimously on an ordinance to amend the master agreement governing the Greenwood-Newberry Industrial Park which would enlarge the park.
• Council approved funding for the Berley Bridge Road Project in Pomaria. Low bid on the project was $70,641.30.
Other presentations made to county council included:
• Members of the partnership between the Newberry County Historical Society, Newberry College, the Newberry Museum and county council gave an update on efforts to renovate and restore the old library/post office on Friend Street.
• Anne Peters presented an annual update to the county’s comprehensive plan.
For a full report of Wednesday night’s county council meeting, see the Friday edition of the Newberry Observer.