NEWBERRY — Ron Vigus has accepted the position of regional vice president for Quorum Health Resources and will be resigning as CEO of Newberry County Memorial Hospital at the end of September.
“Newberry Hospital is a great hospital because it has an exceptional team of people,” said Vigus. “It has been a privilege for me to have the opportunity to work with each individual here.”
Dr. Alan Paysinger, chairman of the Newberry County Memorial Hospital board of trustees, made the announcement.
“Newberry Hospital has seen a lot of exceptional changes under Ron’s leadership over the past four years,” Paysinger said. “We are sorry to see him leave and wish him the best with his new position.”
Vigus has been the CEO for Newberry Hospital since September 2009. His last day with the hospital will be Sept. 30. Vigus said the decision was not an easy one for him and his wife, Joyce.
“My wife’s and my families are very important to us,” he said. “This move will give us an opportunity to be much closer to them.”
The promotion will move Vigus to Nashville, Tenn. He and his wife will remain in Newberry for a while and he said he is still committed to working with Newberry Hospital.
The board will begin the search for a permanent CEO. An interim CEO will be appointed until the permanent position is filled.
Newberry Hospital accomplishments in the last four years have included the following:
• Top 10 percent nationally for quality patient care (Medicare)
• 2012 Best Overall Performance and 2012 Leadership in Quality Awards (Quorum Health Resources)
• Top 10 percent national ranking for hip and knee replacement surgery
• Nationally certified Joint Replacement Program, the only Midlands hospital to earn certification (The Joint Commission)
• 2013 Joint Replacement Excellence Award (Healthgrades)
• Best in the Midlands for joint replacement for two years (Healthgrades, Five Star Rating)
• “Exceeding Patient’s Expectations Award” for three years (Avatar)
• Successful recruitment of a general surgeon and family practice physician
• Modernization of the Emergency Department, front entrance and third floor
QHR is the fifth largest healthcare management consulting firm in the country.