POMARIA — Pomaria resident Malaria Wadsworth gave Pomaria Town Council an update on Making a Difference in Our Community at Monday night’s council meeting.
The event will be held at the school beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday.
“We have guest speakers that are coming from DJJ and entertainment from out praise team to let these kids know that you can get beyond the streets and beyond the drugs and that they can do something empowering with their lives,” said Wadsworth.
Various motivational speakers will be featured at the event, along with games, food, a bounce house and fellowship.
“We’ll have games like a sack race, baseball, basketball, bean bag toss and much more. We’ll let the kids play, bring them in at about 12 and then get them ready to go into the auditorium for the program and then they can go back out and play,” said Wadsworth. “We have face paint and so much more, we just have to come out here and set it all up and get it going. I’ve just received so much support and everyone is jumping in to help.”
Mayor Darryl Hentz said that he is looking forward to the event.
“Malaria has gotten a lot of support from the community and from a lot of different entities. Hopefully, having this event will get the message across,” said Hentz.
Hentz suggested that Wadsworth test the air conditioners prior to having the event to make sure they are working properly.
• Council agreed to reschedule next month’s Council Meeting to Sept. 11. due to Labor Day.
• Hentz informed Council of a sign that has yet to be replaced. Hentz also informed Council that he went over to the playground and cut the grass that will beginning to grow.
• As of July 1, the Town of Pomaria had a beginning balance of $19,287.80. The ending balance, as of July 31 was $23,984.23.
• Expenditures for the month totaled at $2,984.23, with $38,350.00 being budgeted. The remaining budget for the FY 2017-2018 was $35,365.77.
• Revenue for the Town of Pomaria came in at $6,751.95, with $38,350.00 in the budget.
Reach Kelly Duncan at 803-768-3123 ext. 1868 or on Twitter @TheNBOnews.