By Elyssa Parnell firstname.lastname@example.org
July 31, 2014
NEWBERRY — City Fire Chief Keith Minick said their department responded to several calls on July 30 within the city limits.
At 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, the city fire department responded to a child locked in a car on Kinard Street. The car was running with the air conditioning on, Minick said. The child was removed from the vehicle.
Minick said he was unsure of how or why the child became locked in the car, but offered his advice to residents.
“Don’t leave children unattended in vehicles. You wouldn’t leave them unattended in a room with a burning candle, fire place, or in the kitchen while cooking, to name a few,” Minick said. “It only takes a split second for that one element to occur and put that child at risk. We all need to slow down sometime to ensure our safety and the safety of our loved ones.”
At 5:42 p.m., the department responded to the Country Peddler for gas leaking from a car.
“This was an isolated incident to the car and the vehicle was towed from the scene,” Minick said. “The small portion of gas was mitigated by the fire department.”
While on scene at the Country Peddler, Minick said an empty log truck clipped a power pole causing the transformer to blow and power loss to the location. City utilities were notified to repair and no other hazards were present, Minick said.
The department also responded to Pope Street at 7:16 p.m. for a report of a vehicle fire. Minick said upon arrival, the crews had to extinguish the fire extending from the cab of a pickup truck.
“Concern of fire extending into the residence due to how close the vehicle was, the crews checked the outside and inside of the house to ensure nothing had spread to the interior of the house,” Minick said.
The fire was contained to the truck. The home was not damaged.