newberryobserver.com

Have a pet? Be aware of toxins in their environment

March 25, 2014

Dear Editor:


The Newberry County Humane Society would like to alert all pet caretakers to the Top Pet Toxins, per the ASPCA and APCC (Animal Poison Control Center) in a 2013 study.


1. Prescription Drugs: The top 3 types of medications animals were exposed to includes: heart medications,antidepressants and pain medications. Many due to pills dropped when preparing to take them, and Fido gobbled the pill off the floor.


2. Insecticides: Yard, Home and on Animals. More than half the cases found involved cats, exposed to insecticides; always read the label carefully before using.


3. Over-the-Counter Human Medications: Including acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxen, as well as herbal and fish oil, joint supplements. Many products are “tasty” to pets, but Life Threatening if ingested.


4. Household Products: These range from fire logs to cleaning products. Some can be corrosive, while others can cause obstruction of gastrointestinal tract, requiring surgery.


5. People Food: Especially appealing to pets, especially dogs. Onions/garlic, grapes/raisins and xylitol, a sugar substitute, can be Life-Threatening for animals.


6. Veterinary Products and Medications: Flavored tablets make it easy to give your pet pain/joint medication, but makes it more likely for them to ingest the entire bottle if given chance.


7. Chocolate: Number One people food that pets ingest. Too much chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate and seizures.


8. Rodenticides: Baits to kill mice/rats are all too tempting to your pet. Depending on the type of rodenticide, ingestion can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure or seizures.


9. Plants: Over 9,000 cases in 2013.Cats especially are the highest victims. Lilies can cause kidney failure and death, and many more plants are dangerous to your pets. See ASPCA website for list of toxic/non-toxic plants.


10. Lawn and Garden Products: Fertilizers, which can be made of dried blood, poultry manure and bone meal, are very attractive to pets, but very dangerous.


Please do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour hotline at 888-426-4435, if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic.


Lorraine Bradley


President


Newberry County Humane Society